Warwick University develops virtual reality anti-bullying game


By Pratik Desai
The Register
Boffins at Warwick University have claimed their virtual reality bullying simulator will help victims cope with the stress of being taunted.

FearNot! creates a virtual school with 3D pupils that can be set to bully, look like an easy target or sit meekly in fear of attracting unwanted attention.

These virtual bullies, victims and bystanders are then used to “improvise real-life bullying incidents”. With the virtual classroom bear pit set in motion, real children can wade in with their own ways to deal with the virtua-bullies.

Acting out verbal and physical bullying scenarios, virtual kids do not follow script and are “intelligent agents” that learn from their past experience. So the real world kids can’t get amusement from convincing the on-screen weed to fight the Neanderthal who lurks in the back row.

Primary school kids tested in the UK and Germany were found to experience a 26 per cent decrease in “victimisation” after having used the software. Presumably that makes the remaining 74 per cent of victimisation more tolerable. Full story.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: